A tooth is more complicated than most people know or think . When the tooth structure — which includes bone, ligaments, and nerves — is removed, the neighboring area slowly begins to deteriorate.
A dental implant replaces this structure with a metal post, typically one made of titanium. Over the period of a couple of months, new bone grows around the implanted metal. Once the new structure is tested by your dentist and declared secure enough, a crown is then screwed on top of the implant and sealed into place. This is how you get a dental implant to replace missing or broken tooth.
The Pros and Cons of implants
1. One of biggest benefit of dental implants is that they place less of a burden on the surrounding teeth and jaw bones and promote healing of bone structures and gums under the teeth.
2. They also tend to reduce long-term risks posed to the jaw. Generally, a high-quality dental implant is expected to last a lifetime , if put properly by expert dentists .
3. It reduces the possibility of loss of teeth, teeth displacement and deterioration of bone drastically and is almost like a natural teeth .
4. Finally, it gives chewing ability just like a natural teeth , allowing you to eat and chew naturally with the same strength .
Con is only one –
A disadvantage of dental implants is they can be a costly treatment. Especially in cases where a large number of individual teeth need to be replaced in different spots. Even the replacement of a single tooth with an implant can cost several thousand rupees.
When trying to replace a particularly large number of teeth, it’s not unusual for dentists to recommend a traditional dental bridge instead of an implant, especially to save cost.
What is a Dental Bridge?
A dental bridge attaches to the remaining healthy teeth surrounding a gap to create a bridge across the area in a recipient’s smile. In more traditional versions of the procedure, the two teeth on opposite sides of a gap are shaved down to accommodate a bridge.
A cap is then placed over each tooth and is accompanied by the bridge, replacing the missing teeth. In parts of the mouth that can handle less force or where only one tooth is missing, dentists now often use a winged bridge that’s embedded into the neighboring teeth, rather than one that fully caps them.
In some instances, there may not be teeth on both sides of a gap. One approach to this problem is to install what’s called a cantilevered bridge.
This type of bridge is attached to a single tooth on one side, and the bridge structure hangs over the gap.
Dental Bridge Pros and Cons
There are several Pros , such as
1. The main advantage of bridges is that they are considered to be one of the most cost-effective methods for replacing missing teeth.
2. Another advantage of bridges is they don’t require bone grafting if bone loss is present.
3. Bridges also offer a quicker process for replacing missing teeth, quicker healing than implants .
The cons are money though
1. One of the biggest disadvantages of bridges is that they place greater strain on surrounding structures, especially the two teeth which are attached to the device.
2. Over a prolonged use , the bone structure and jaw bone begin to wear off under the immense pressure of the bridge .
3. For this reason, a bridge rarely is expected to last a lifetime.
4. Bridges also do not address concerns about underlying structural problems. This means that long-term issues arising from bone loss due to the removal of teeth will continue to advance even after the gap is addressed.
5. Cantilevered bridges are especially notorious for creating problems. They place a significant amount of stress on the single tooth to which they’re attached.Also, if a bridge is not properly maintained, it may lead to the loss of additional healthy teeth.
In cases where patients have lost a significant number of teeth in a row, it’s not unusual for dentists to recommend a mixed approach.
For example, the loss of all the molars may mean your dentist needs to put in an implant at one end, where there is no longer a tooth. Your dentist may then attach a cap at the other end, creating a bridge from the implant post to the healthy tooth.
Likewise, people who have lost most or all of their teeth in a particular section of their mouths may be good candidates for bridge-like structures that straddle two implant posts.so two implants and a bridge in between !!!!
For most people, cost is one of the most important considerations to make when deciding on what option would be right for you.
Talking to your dental health provider can give you helpful information that could assist you in deciding what treatment to move forward with.
Finding The Right Choice for You at Our Partha dental clinics and make an informed choice